I know I've previously done a post on the stupid series, but at the urging of a friend, I have decided to post another one. (I am ashamed I even read them actually) Last week I was asked the question why I found the book to be so popular, and I think my answer astonished them. I told them first that Twilight was popular because Stephanie Meyer is an excellent storyteller, but a crappy writer. I mean, how many times did she describe Edward as having 'cold marble skin'? I don't want to waste my time to count. I should have stopped there (it was an important board of people interviewing me for a scholarship), but I felt passionate enough about it to continue on. I continued to say that because of the growing lack of intelligent thinking in our society, people cannot handle a heftier read than Twilight. Just mentioning brilliant modern authors such as Brandon Sanderson, Amy Tan, Paulo Coelho, and Chinua Achebe send their minds reeling. It astounds me how our society can function! Lastly, I said that Twilight is a sensual high for people who dare not read harlequin romances. Twilight is just sex, without the sex.
I may have went too far (I didn't get the scholarship), but I can honestly say that I don't regret saying it. That probably was the boldest thing that I have done in awhile, but it felt really good. I felt good. I feel enormously confident. Even though I am currently scholarshipless, I wouldn't change my answer if that was what was required of me to win. Maybe it will knock some sense into what were probably Twilight fans. I hope they'll now go out and read a better author.
10 years ago

3 comments:
Way to go! It is so true though, and I am also ashamed to have read them.
don't be so cynical. Not only have you read them, but you own them. Thus you have already contributed to the mindless read. I love you.
I gave them to Amber the other day. I no longer possess them and now she doesn't have to go out and 'contribute to the mindless read'. Ha! I win!
Post a Comment