CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, February 10, 2009

How English Has Influenced My Life

For that portfolio that I had to design I wrote a poem to sum up my feelings for the glorious English language. I've been meaning to post it for a while, but didn't have the time to find the effort to find it on my flash drive. Anyway. here it now for your personal enjoyment. Tell me what you think!

How English Has Influenced My Life
By K.

Wriggling words of childhood
Fill the page with shaky letters
Of barely formed sentences
So simple, but deeply complex
The way the graphite touches the page
Building line upon line, perfection in sight

Arms filled chin high of feathery light pages
Of promised adventures
That await the flashlight under the covers
When sleep would seem more practical
But the mind ready to devour whatever comes
Within reach of greedy eyes

A page in length, of freshly printed paper
That told the story of a princess and wizard
Pride and joy fills the pleased father
As he reads, smiling at the use of siblings names
Cast as heros and villians
And eager fingers ready to write more

Soft clacking at the keyboard, head shaking
At the impossibility of finishing before dawn
Fingers flying, deleting, starting again from scratch
Print, edit, print once more until perfection
Is reached, at the cost of a night of sleep
Glad for teachers who had taught correctly

Book stuck under the nook of an arm
Tucked into corners of a bedroom
Shelves overflowing, fat with pages
Stories following everywhere from
The backyard, to weddings, to conversations
Filling life with beautiful words

Ink from cheap ballpoint pens stain fingers
As detailed sketches of characters
Pack notebook after notebook
Stories coming from everywhere in life
Filling the mind full of ideas
Touching every aspect of my life, and touching everything I do

3 comments:

KKF said...

I like it. a lot, it has 'K' written (ha ha) all over it.

peggy w said...

you are so talented. I am so proud of you. Your the best.

Julie said...

SO good Kirsten! You really are talented....(somebody other then your mom telling you this....hahha)