That phrase has been heard often enough, I am my own worse enemy, but how many of us actually understand it? Last week in my seminary class I had a lesson on loving oneself, and it got me thinking how truly hard it is. It is easy to compliment others on their hair or their clothes, but when it comes to us we can’t seem to accept people’s compliments. We are our own worst critic, seeing every flaw even when they don’t exist. It is like the people who say that they are fat when they wear a size 2. That just bothers me.
I continued to think on it though. What does loving oneself truly mean? I have decided that it means that you respect your self for who you are, and you accept yourself for all the weaknesses and flaws that you have. When you love yourself you see your strengths as well as your weaknesses and you work hard to become all that you can be. Loving oneself it not egotistical, it does not give you rights to brag, it is to accept who you are, appreciate where you have been and what you have become.
When we have self respect then the whole world is open to us because we know that we can do anything. Even when we fail we can pick ourselves up once again because we are optimistic that things will change because we can do so.
Loving oneself is hard, it is not an easy journey to take, but I can only hope that once I reach that point, my love for others will grow as well as my love for God. Today I will stop being my own worse enemy and try to be my own best friend.
10 years ago

0 comments:
Post a Comment